Crossed the Bar

It is with so much sadness that I announce that Captain (E) Douglas (Dougie) Lewis  (Plymouth Branch) Crossed the Bar on the 6th April 2013 aged 78 following a heart attack.

It is Dougies wishes that his funeral be kept very low key so Family Flowers only by request. Donations however  may be made in lieu to Help for Heroes

The funeral will be held at Efford Crematorium, Plymouth (HERE for their website and HERE for a map) at 13:00 on Monday 22nd April 2013. The arrangelements are being made by Co-operative Funeralcare, Crownhill, (HERE for their website and HERE for a map).

Friends and colleagues are very welcome to attend.

On behalf of the RFA Association I extend our sincere condolences to his widow, Mary, their children Natalie and Phillip and grandson Finnian.


If you have a remembrance of Dougie please e-mail me at and I will append it to this page.


Pat Thompson writes :-

Dougie, as many of you will recall was a “black belt (with numerous Dans) in Karate. My memory of Dougie was in around 1974 in RFA Sir Galahad during a deployment to the Mediterranean with the Royal Marine Commando Logistic Regiment embarked. Dougie used to run Karate training sessions for the Marines on the flight deck.

From our Plymouth Correspondent:-  This afternoon in  a simple ceremony in Efford Chapel, family, friends, neighbours & RFA colleagues gathered to say farewell to Douglas. Born one of three brothers in Calcutta in 1935, he came to Britain as a young man and worked for Thorneycrofts before joining the RFA as a JEO in 1956. Married to Mary in 1960, he was promoted CEO in 1971 and served in most classes of ship through the Falklands & first Gulf War until retiring in 1995 after 39 years service.

In retirement he pursued DIY, often with a blatant disregard for health & safety for which he had been responsible at sea and delighted family and friends with his cooking skills. Well known around his neighbourhood where he was always ready with a helping hand and he was a regular attender at local events on the Hoe and at St Andrew’s.  He will be much missed by all who knew him.